The upper, bowl section of a relay torch for the 1948 London Olympic Games, designed by Ralph Lavers. This item was never provided a handle, and thus never used, since it was taken as a souvenir by Roy Keeling, one of the die engravers, soon after it was cast. This was one of the first torches to come off the die. Another die engraver involved with the manufacture of the 1948 Torches was Stanley Watkins. The bowl is round with a flared rim. A short stem protrudes from the base, from which, is attached a flat, circular base. At the base of the bowl are the inscriptions: 'OLYMPIA TO LONDON/WITH THANKS TO THE BEARER', and, 'XIVTH OLYMPIAD 1948'. The 1948 London Olympics were the first post-WW2 games.
0 - Whole: H: 97 W: 145 D: 145mm (H: 3 13/16 W: 5 11/16 D: 5 11/16")
Organising Committee for the Games of the XIVth Olympiad, London 1948
Kindly donated to the Australian Gallery of Sport and Olympic Museum by Roy H. Keeling