Trophy, silver tankard; awarded to George Alexander by D C McArthur, president of the Melbourne Cricket Club in 1875. Tankard has one squared hollow form handle; engraved ornate decoration around body of tankard, including borders, vines, two crossed cricket bats at centre, and the following inscription, "Presented by D.C. McARTHUR / PRESIDENT OF THE MELBOURNE CRICKET CLUB // TO / G. ALEXANDER. / for his excellent batting during the season, 1874-5". The tankard is kept in a hinged case, lined with leather outside and padded blue silk and purple velvet inside. Maker's details feature inside.
1 - tankard: H: 105 W: 85 D: 115mm (H: 4 1/8 W: 3 3/8 D: 4 1/2")
2 - case: H: 145 W: 120 D: 145mm (H: 5 11/16 W: 4 3/4 D: 5 11/16")
George Alexander; 22 Apr 1851; 06 Nov 1930
Melbourne Cricket Club; 1838
Kindly donated to the Australian Gallery of Sport and Olympic Museum by Mr Ron Thomson