A circular bronze medallion, designed by Andor Meszaros in 1955. Issued by the Organising Committee for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games as a commemorative medal. Obverse features the bas-relief design of naked figures walking in procession within the circumference of the medallion. One holds up the Olympic Flag, which at the centre, is encircled by the Olympic motto: 'CITIUS ALTIUS FORTIUS'. The reverse features the city of Melbourne coat-of-arms, incorporating the Olympic rings. Inscription above: OLYMPIC GAMES MELBOURNE/19 56'.
0 - Whole: H: 63 W: 63 D: 4mm (H: 2 1/2 W: 2 1/2 D: 3/16")
Andor Meszaros; 01 Sep 1900; 01 May 1972
Organising Committee for the Games of the XVIth Olympiad, Melbourne 1956
Kindly donated to the Australian Gallery of Sport and Olympic Museum by Douglas Cox, former Melbourne City Councillor.